Salt dough is easy and inexpensive to make and these salt dough decorations make a fun festive sensory craft. It has a similar texture to playdough so is perfect for little ones to use. Once baked in the oven or left out to dry, it is very durable and your decorations should last a long time!
I’ve given instructions for oven-drying the salt dough but you can also leave it out to air-dry if you prefer. It takes longer but will work!
I hope you have lots of creative fun making them!
Salt Dough Decorations
You will need:
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2 cups salt
- 1 cup water
- drinking straw (to make the hole on the decorations)
How to make:
- Preheat oven to 150⁰C/Gas Mark 2.
- Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Put the plain flour and salt in a large bowl. Gently add the water whilst stirring. Continue mixing the ingredients with a wooden spoon. Add a little more water if needed to bring the dough together.
- Once the salt dough forms a ball, transfer it to a floured work surface and knead for a few minutes until the dough is soft and pliable.
- Roll out the salt dough with a rolling pin. The salt dough should be 0.5cm thick.
- Cut out the salt dough using biscuit cutters.
- Make a hole in the top of each cut out shape with a drinking straw before baking.
- Using a fish slice, transfer your cut out shapes onto the lined baking tray.
- Bake for approximately 1 hour in total. Turn the shapes over after 30 minutes and bake on the other side for a further 30 minutes.
- The salt dough is ready when it feels hard, dry and hollow to tap.
- Let the salt dough ornaments cool completely before decorating them. I’ve left mine plain but you could paint them with acrylic paint or stick sequins and glitter on them.
- Thread twine through the hole and tie it to form a hanging loop.
For edible decorations, have a look at my blog on Gingerbread Christmas tree decorations. They make wonderful gifts for children to give friends, family and teachers too!
LET’S KEEP IN TOUCH
Enjoy a FREE fun fairytale-themed Children’s Activity Pack, full of lovely creative things to do, delivered straight to your inbox every month, along with the latest Another World Costume news and updates and offers!