These cheesy turnip cakes are delicious and simple to make. They make a great snack on their own, or as part of a meal.
They are also the perfect accompaniment to the traditional fairytale, The Enormous Turnip!
- 12 small-medium turnips
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- salt & black pepper
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- chopped chives
- Peel the turnips & put in a pot of salted water. Bring to boil. Cook for 20-30 minutes, till they are soft. Drain. Leave to cool a bit.
- Preheat oven to 190⁰C/Gas Mark 5. Grease & line a baking tray.
- Place the turnips on a clean tea towel. Gently flatten with a potato masher until 1.5cm thick. Let them drain for 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix together olive oil, garlic, salt & black pepper.
- Place the flattened turnips on the lined baking sheet. Brush each turnip with the olive oil and garlic mixture and then sprinkle with the parmesan cheese, gently pressing it down with a fork.
- Turn the turnip over to the other side and repeat.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Turn each turnip over and bake for a further 15 minutes. Garnish with chopped chives and serve.
Hope you enjoy these cheesy turnip cakes!
LET’S KEEP IN TOUCH
Enjoy a FREE fun fairytale-themed Children’s Activity Pack, full of lovely creative things to do, delivered straight to your inbox every month, along with the latest Another World Costume news and updates!